Wine lovers are invited to sip and sample wine and cheese pairings, from the classic to the creative, at the Say Cheese Wine Trail, December 8 and 9. The event is hosted by seven wineries on the Hermann Wine Trail, which meanders for 20 scenic miles along the Missouri River between Hermann and New Haven.
The Say Cheese Wine Trail is held annually the second weekend in December and coincides with other holiday events in Missouri Wine Country, including Hermann’s popular Kristkindl Markt, an Old-World holiday market.
“There are some general guidelines for wine and cheese pairings–red wine with hard cheese, white wine with soft cheese–but no hard and fast rules,” says Patty Held, president of the Hermann Wine Trail. “Like everything having to do with wine, it’s a matter of taste.”
The 2012 Say Cheese tasting menu will feature:
• Adam Puchta — Queso Blanco with Tortilla Chips, paired with Puchta-rita
• Bias — Cheese and Fruit Stuffed Croissant, paired with Raspberry, Apple or Strawberry Weisser Flieder
• Dierberg Star Lane — Brie Cheese Crepe with Artichoke Cream Sauce, paired with Chardonnay
• Hermannhof — Gruyère Cheese Gougère, paired with Vidal Blanc
• OakGlenn — Vegetable Parmesan Cheese Quiche, paired with Vidal Blanc
• Röbller — Assorted Cheeses, Nuts, and Dried Fruit, paired with Vignoles
• Stone Hill — Ham and Cheese Crisp, paired with Traminette
Held each year the second weekend of December, Say Cheese Wine Trail is one of five annual events hosted by the Hermann-area vintners.
Chocolate Wine Trail the third weekend of February is a popular Valentine’s getaway. Wild Card Wine Trail the first weekend of May will feature bacon in 2013. Berries & BarBQ Wine Trail the last full weekend of July will celebrate the flavors of summer. Holiday Fare Wine Trail the third weekend of November is a festive start to the holiday season.
The $30 per person ticket price (advance purchase required) includes a souvenir wine glass. Participants may also enter a drawing for a $30 gift certificate from each winery and a one-night stay at a Hermann B&B.
Wine Trail tickets may be purchased online at VisitHermann.com or from the Hermann Welcome Center, 800-932-8687. For more information about the Hermann Wine Trail, visit HermannWineTrail.com.