Chocolate Lebkuchen Cherry Balls
- 40 gingersnap cookies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 60 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- 1. Place gingersnaps, cream cheese, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, orange zest and extract in a food processor; process until combined. Refrigerate until firm enough to form into balls. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture; shape into a ball. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Chop remaining sliced almonds; set aside. In a double boiler, melt remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip cherry balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle balls with almonds. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.