Big Hatchie stone corrects historical record

From left, near the new Big Hatchie Memorial stone, are Brush & Palette Club members John Wilding, Walter Els, Mona Biener-Schaefer, Matt Wesselschmidt, Dolores Grannemann, Sharon Hutson, Lois Kruse, Don Kruse, Gary Johnson, Hulda Krull and Mae Wilding. Members not present for the photo are Jr. Grannemann, Sandy Hackmann, and Richard Schaefer.


Members of The Brush & Palette Club gathered recently at the Big Hatchie monument in the City Cemetery. More than fifty years ago, the Club erected a memorial to those who had perished in an explosion of the steamer Big Hatchie near the Missouri River landing at Hermann in the 1840s. When it was learned that information on the monument was inaccurate, the Club decided to correct the information and to have a new stone engraved. The base and top are the original, but the granite post with the engraving is new.

The stone reads, “In memory of the early travelers who perished in the explosion of the steamboat Big Hatchie on July 23, 1845, those buried here in unmarked graves and those whose bodies were never recovered from the waters of the Missouri River.”